The SEDAR 29 assessment was conducted following a Standard approach and addressed the stock of HMS Gulf of Mexico Blacktip Shark. One workshop to address new data and assessment issues was held March 19-23, 2012 in Panama City, Florida.
An Update to SEDAR 29 was conducted in 2018. The full report can be found below under “Project Update Report”. An addendum, including updated analysis after the Update review, can be found below under “Post-SEDAR Documdentation”.
NOTE: SEDAR Working papers document the methods, datasets, and preliminary analyses that are under consideration at the various workshops and therefore do not necessarily represent final consensus opinions of workshop participants. Working paper findings and methods may change following workshop review. Working papers should not be cited without author permission.
Project Final Report
Project Update Report
SEDAR 29 Data/Assessment Workshop
Workshop Working Papers
- S29WP01 Relative abundance of blacktip shark, Carcharhinus limbatus, from the eastern Gulf of Mexico
- S29WP02 Standardized catch rates of blacktip sharks (Carcharhinus limbatus) in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico from the Shark Bottom Longline Observer Program, 1994-2010
- S29WP03 Indices of Blacktip Shark Based on NMFS Bottom Longline Surveys (1995‐2011)
- S29WP04 Commercial Bottom Longline Vessel Standardized Catch Rates of Blacktip Sharks in the Gulf of Mexico and US South Atlantic, 1996-2010
- S29WP05 Standardized catch rates for Gulf of Mexico Blacktip Sharks from the U.S. Pelagic longline logbook using generalized linear mixed models
- S29WP06 Standardized catch rates of blacktip sharks from the Everglades National Park Creel Survey
- S29WP07 Tag and recapture data for blacktip shark, Carcharhinus limbatus, in the Gulf of Mexico: 1999-2010
- S29WP08 Updated catches of Gulf of Mexico blacktip sharks
- S29WP09 Reproduction of the blacktip shark Carcharhinus limbatus in the Gulf of Mexico
- S29WP10 A standardized CPUE index of abundance for Gulf of Mexico blacktip sharks from the Marine Recreational Statistics Survey (MRFSS)
- S29WP11 Catch rates and size distribution of blacktip shark Carcharhinus limbatus in the northern Gulf of Mexico, 2006-2010
- S29WP12 Relative abundance of blacktip shark based on a fishery-independent gillnet survey off Texas
- S29WP13 Standardized catch rates of blacktip sharks (Carcharhinus limbatus) collected during a gillnet survey in Mississippi coastal waters, 1998-2011
- S29WP14 Standardized catch rates of blacktip sharks (Carcharhinus limbatus) collected during a bottom longline survey in Mississippi coastal waters, 2004-2011
- S29WP15 Standardized catch rates of blacktip sharks (Carcharhinus limbatus) collected during a SEAMAP bottom longline survey in Mississippi/Louisiana coastal waters from 2008 to 2011.
- S29WP16 Mark/Recapture Data for the Blacktip Shark, Carcharhinus limbatus, in the Gulf of Mexico from the NEFSC Cooperative Shark Tagging Program
- S29WP17 A Preliminary Review of Post-release Live-discard Mortality Estimates for Sharks
- S29WP18 Updates to age and growth parameters for blacktip shark, Carcharhinus limbatus, in the Gulf of Mexico
- S29WP19 Commercial Bottom Longline Vessel Standardized Catch Rates of Blacktip Sharks in the United States Gulf of Mexico, 1996-2010, with targeting determined using logistic regression
- S29WP20 Dead discards of blacktip sharks in the Gulf of Mexico shark bottom longline fishery
- S29WP21 A combined fishery independent gillnet series for juvenile blacktip sharks in the eastern Gulf of Mexico
- S29WP22 Standardized catch rates of blacktip sharks (Carcharhinus limbatus) collected during bottom longline surveys in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama coastal waters from 2004 to 2010
- S29WP23 Indices of abundance score cards
- S29WP24 A state space, age-structured production model (SSASPM) with application to Gulf of Mexico blacktip shark: computer code
Workshop Reference Documents
- S29RD01 SEDAR 11 (LCS) Final Stock Assessment Report
- S29RD02 Distributions of Sharks across a Continental Shelf in the Northern Gulf of Mexico
- S29RD03 Microsatellite and mitochondrial DNA analyses of the genetic structure of blacktip shark (Carcharhinus limbatus) nurseries in the northwestern Atlantic, Gulf of Mexico, and Caribbean Sea
- S29RD04 Estimation of catches of sandbar (Carcharhinus plumbeus) and blacktip (C. limbatus) sharks in the Mexican fisheries of Gulf of Mexico (SEDAR 11-DW-06)
- S29RD05 Abundance Indices Workshop: Developing protocols for submission of abundance indices to the SEDAR process
- S29RD06 Do differences in life history exist for blacktip sharks, Carcharhinus limbatus, from the United States South Atlantic Bight and Eastern Gulf of Mexico?
- S29RD07 Hierarchical analysis of blacknose, sandbar, and dusky shark CPUE indices (SEDAR21-AW-01)
SEDAR 29 – Desk Review
SEDAR 29 was conducted as a Standard Assessment. Standard assessments are usually reviewed by the Cooperator’s Scientific Advisory Body (SSC or TC). HMS does not have such a Scientifitc Advisory Body so SEDAR arranged for a Desk Review conducted by the Reviewers from the Center for Independent Experts.